Los Gatos, California
Client and UI Engineering
Our team is looking for a senior security engineer to help design, develop and ensure client application and device security controls are both effective and robust. The client security solutions our team creates represent the security building blocks in every single one of the 100’s of millions of Netflix client devices used in over 190 countries by more than 204 million paid members. Ensuring the authenticity of the client is used to protect the Netflix subscription business model. These building blocks are being enhanced for the new threats and scale as Netflix offers gaming. Help us securely grow Netflix!
We provide the end-to-end security strategy and engineering solutions for content authorization and protections for the Netflix subscription-based business model. The team you will join is responsible for integrating the engineering security features for all Netflix client devices, working directly with client platform teams within and outside of Netflix.
Security and trust are crucial to the Netflix business model. We use strong cryptography to meet business requirements like protecting customer privacy, protecting content, as well as helping secure the Netflix service itself. We are part of an engineering organization that treats security as an integral part of product development and have a team of security engineers who use business context to make the right decisions about product security. Do you want to be one of those engineers? You will have a huge impact and the opportunity to make a difference.
We, the Streaming Security Engineering team, are part of the larger Device & Content Security organization, which collaborates with device partners, DRM vendors, and software obfuscation vendors to improve security across the industry. To learn more about Device & Content Security at Netflix, check out this episode of the WeAreNetflix podcast.
What you will do
- Embed with client and server engineering teams to provide security expertise and security controls for product feature development.
- Design, develop and ensure client security features such as obfuscated authentication credentials, consumption limits, and audit mechanisms are well designed to protect the user and the service from abuse.
- Work closely with teammate engineers who manage policy and insights to ensure client security controls are robust.
How you will do it
- Employ an adversarial mindset to create relevant client security controls.
- Integrate obfuscation and code protection technologies into Netflix client applications.
- Design and implement client security controls on a wide range of devices - from mobile phones, to tablets, to set top boxes and streaming sticks, to gaming platforms, to Smart TVs, to web browsers.
- Create policies and tools for client credential lifecycle management.
- Lead projects across multiple teams to ensure security controls are as scalable and effective as possible.
- End to end ownership of deliverables: including requirements, design, implementation, test and management of in-field impact and finally retirement.
- Software development in applied cryptography especially if directed to mobile client development.
- Experience identifying, promoting and executing a practical balance between user experience, security needs and business needs.
- Developing applications in C/C++ and Java (or other managed languages) on Linux (other platforms are a plus).
- Performing security analysis and translating that to product requirements, design, implementation and test development.
- Leading large cross functional efforts across teams and with external partners.
If you Enjoy..
- Curiosity and dedication to learning and are able to apply new knowledge in a pragmatic and timely manner.
- Being a strong contributor in highly cross-functional efforts who is not afraid to step in and lead a technical project.
- A natural inclination to work within a culture that is fast-paced, dynamic, and self-directed.